About Austin Tech Alliance
Austin Tech Alliance is a nonpartisan, 501(c)(6) nonprofit building a culture of civic engagement in Austin’s tech sector. ATA is focused on helping every tech employee cast an informed vote and using tech as a tool to tackle our community’s most pressing challenges.
As a member-based nonprofit, ATA has membership options for both individuals as well as companies. Company members of ATA make up a cross-section of leading tech brands, including Google, Facebook, Silicon Labs, Dell, AT&T, Capital Factory, Atlassian, Uber, Lyft, SXSW, Rackspace, RetailMeNot, and numerous others.
About the position
The Executive Director is responsible for coordinating all activities of Austin Tech Alliance and driving measurable outcomes. This includes but is not limited to:
- Organizing and executing programming, events, and communications, including original written and electronic content, public speaking, and media and community relations;
- Managing the organization’s budget, membership recruitment and retention, and fundraising, ensuring that resources meet current and projected program needs;
- Developing and driving the organization’s local and state policy agendas aimed at using tech as a tool to solve civic challenges;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with city, business and community leaders;
- Managing staff and interns; and
- Supporting the organization’s Board of Directors and Advisory Board to develop strategic direction and focus.
You’ll know you’re successful if
- Membership in ATA increases
- Voter participation and civic engagement from Tech increases
- Political influence and public opinion of Tech improves
- Austin policy around Tech improves
- Tech can celebrate substantive policy and programming wins
- Elected officials check with you before announcing legislation that affects Tech
- You identify potential issues in time for Tech to collaborate proactively instead of defend reactively
- You convene well-attended public and private events that sit at the intersection of tech, policy, and civic engagement
- You develop a constructive working relationship with local and state elected officials
- You are passionate about improving Austin and increasing civic engagement.
- You are organized and plan ahead but don’t get stressed out when things change at the last minute. Because they will.
- You are persistent and patient, understanding that hard work over an extended period of time will lead to results.
- You are a problem solver. You know how to juggle different requests from ATA members, the Board of Directors, and the Advisory Board.
- You are comfortable with public speaking and producing written content.
- You are professional and presentable and greet everyone cheerfully. You are adept at building relationships, coalitions, and partnerships.
- You are excited to work in downtown Austin and have reliable transportation.
- You have a reliable laptop computer and smartphone.
- You are security aware. You have a passcode on your computer and phone and use a password manager.
- You are available in person during business hours, occasionally in the evenings for ATA events, and occasionally on the weekend.
- You are available during SXSW (possibly Spring Break), Startup Week (the week before Austin City Limits Music Fest), and all elections.
- You’re eager to learn about new tools and ways to be more productive.
- You get to Inbox Zero every day.
- You plan to stay in Austin and be fully committed to this position for at least two years.
- If you choose to leave, you will help recruit your replacement and plan for an orderly transition.
You need to be able to work effectively with the Google Apps products including Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Sheets, Docs, and Slides. Make sure to familiarize yourself with Asana, Eventbrite, Facebook, Twitter, Mailchimp, and WordPress.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits for yourself; options to purchase benefits for your family
- 4 weeks of paid time off (sick + vacation)
Apply through Workable at this link: https://austin-tech-alliance.workable.com/jobs/865931